For the last decade, I’ve been an avid collector of quotes. Quotes have been a source of inspiration that captured the wisdom and truth in a succinct way. What I love about a great quote is the power to cut through the fog and point at the truth. The twenty-something life is not as easy as it looks like in the movies.
Here are 30 quotes that every twenty-something should live by.
1. “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky
2. “Direction, not intention, determines your destination.” ― Andy Stanley
3. “God changes caterpillars into butterflies, sand into pearls and coal into diamonds using time and pressure. He’s working on you, too.” – Rick Warren
4. “So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.”― Mitch Albom
5. “First I was dying to finish high school and start college. And then I was dying to finish college and start working. And then I was dying to marry and have children. And then I was dying for my children to grow old enough for school so I could return to work. And then I was dying to retire.And now I am dying…And suddenly I realize I forgot to live.” ― Anonymous
6. “Most people need love and acceptance a lot more than they need advice.” ― Bob Goff
7. “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” ― Albert Einstein
8. Da Vinci painted one Mona Lisa. Beethoven composed one Fifth Symphony. And God made one version of you. ― Max Lucado
Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.
9. “Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.” ― John Maxwell
10. I do not pray for tasks equals to my strength; I ask for strength equal to my tasks.” ― Philip Brooks
11. “My great concern for you in life is not that you will fail but that you will succeed in doing the wrong things.” ― Howard Hendricks
12. “You cannot be anything you want to be but you can be a lot more of who you already are.” ― Tom Rath
13. “If your dream doesn’t scare you, it’s too small.” ― Mark Batterson
14. FEAR has two meanings:
- Forget everything and run.
- Face everything and rise.
The choice is yours. ― Zig Ziglar
15. “You won’t do well for the first time you do anything. You don’t know what you are doing when you start. Nobody is good at the beginning of doing something new. Get over it. Novelist Ernest Hemingway said, “The first draft is always crap.” (Only he didn’t say crap). And he was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature. IF you want to live a life that matters, don’t’ start when you get good. Start now so you become good.” ― John Maxwell
16. “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde
17. “If I take care of my character, my reputation will take care of itself.” ― D.L. Moody
18. “Attitude, not aptitude, determines your altitude.” —Zig Ziglar
19. “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” —Oscar Wilde
20. “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you found out why.” —Mark Twain
21. “All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamer of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes and make it possible.” —T. E. Lawrence
22. “If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michaelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, “Here lived a great street sweeper who did this job well.”—Martin Luther King Jr.
23. “Excellence is a better teacher than mediocrity. The lessons of the ordinary are everywhere. Truly profound and original insights are to be found only in studying the exemplary.”—Warren G. Bennis
24. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” —Aristotle
25. “The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.” —Paulo Coelho
26. “God uses enlarged trials to produce enlarged saints so He can put them in enlarged places.” —Anonymous
27. “Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God.” —William Carey
28. “Good is the enemy of great.” —Jim Collins
29. “Experience is a good teacher, but her fees are very high.”—W.R. Lage
30. “Successful and unsuccessful people do not vary greatly in their abilities. They vary in their desires to reach their potential.” —John Maxwell